Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Music for the Fall

The Global Outrage of an Educated Man........vol.78
 
 
With the rain dropping down upon the newly fallen leaves brown, yellow and green, I think of proper music to fill the spaces in between the drops, and so appropriately I will be discussing some new music for the season.
I would like to first begin with a group that has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. Ever since I was introduced to them by a lazy eyed woman in Duluth named Valerie, in the Fall of 95'. Kinger and Hoium, you know who I'm talking about. The Champagne Supernova of Brit Pop. The best band in the world. Oasis.
Their new album "Dig out your soul", is fist pumping good stuff with only one slow song. The rest is pure rock'n'roll genius.
Turn up the volume to kick start the jam which begins with "Bag it Up" and crack open a Newcastle and light a cigarette, because the ship is taking off. 11 songs, with only one I could live without.
Not bad for some working class blokes from Manchester. See ya at the Target Center December 10th. Righteous.
 
The second album I would like to discuss is Rachael Yamagata's second album, titled "Elephants.....Teeth sinking into Heart". An album that is suited for a day like today. A day filled with grey clouds and rain. So light some candles and go through old scrapbooks.
Loves' lost and loves' remembered for the better, although you may have felt worse than the current state of the economy. Remembering, we can't always get what we want. We just have to learn to deal with what has been given to us and hopefully some of us will be giving back too. 
Some of you ladies out there may want to make sure a bottle of wine is nearby along with fresh box of kleenex.
I'm not joking. I take my music and politics very seriously.
Phenomenal stuff and I am waiting for her to swing back around to the Twin Cities and play a larger venue than the Fine Line.
 
The next is by She & Him...vol.1. That is Zooey Deschanel and M.Ward's collaboration, which is much happier than Yamagata's angst filled album, but brilliant all the same for it's simplicity.
Zooey reminds me of a young Linda Ronstadt, the hot version. And those in the know, know what I'm talking about. Zooey and M's album could be placed in the mid to late 60's or early 70's.
Either playing the Grand Ole' Opry or Fillmore East. The whole album, all 13 tracks, and yes there is a hidden one.
It's good driving music and for getting dressed in the morning music to start out the day. 
They too I am waiting for to come back around. An August show at First Avenue during a weeknight just wasn't feasible. 
Hindsight is always 20/20.  
 
Next up, is the getting ever popular singer songwriter Ray Lamontagne's third album, "Gossip in the Grain". It may be the most complete of his albums so far.
It include's an ode to White Stripe's drummer Meg White which is a favorite. Because, who doesn't like Meg White? If you don't, you may need to seek serious help.
I've pretty much been saying all along that Ray is great so, I will say no more. Just, that I'm waiting for the next Damien Rice album. You know whay I'm saying.
 
Finally and not least, the red headed cutie Jenny Lewis's second album, "Acid Tongue".
Oh the memories.
Dutch and I in the backseat of my blue m&m Plymouth Sundance, his smiling face like he knew what was going on, and Jeff Olsen behind the wheel.
I remember I couldn't figure out how to get into the house in Spooner. We watched U-Turn twice in a row.
Wow. "Purple Haze all in my mind".
Anyhow, if you like her other band Rilo Kiley you cannot go wrong. Minus the Watson twins, it's still good good stuff.
Put her together with Zooey and M.Ward and I would say we'd have one helluva a time.
Fernando, she plays a song with your name on it and it's a lot better than Abba's. That I guarantee.
 
So, with that said. Do yourselves a favor and get on You Tube and look them up before you download them to your Ipods'.
So, grab a favorite beverage and your favorite girl or guy, and put both feet on the coffee table and turn down the lights and turn up the volume and lock the doors from the neighbors and please, please, shut off the TV.


Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how. Learn Now

No comments: